From 1795, Ellen Goodwin’s house has stood the test of time.

The Greenbrier Historical Society is pleased to present a variety of homes, styles and collections as a part of the 2019 Home Tour on Saturday, June 8, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Two of the oldest houses are located on Lafayette Street in Lewisburg.

The second North House is named for its most notable occupant, John A. North, who was the clerk of the Greenbrier District Court of Chancery of Virginia and purchased the house. The “first North House” he owned now contains the business offices and museum of the Greenbrier Historical Society. The second North House was erected in 1836 by builder John Dunn, and minimal alterations to the house have been made over the years. It was constructed on one of the original 64 lots that formed Lewisburg. The house is considered an outstanding example of federal style architecture, and is a contributing element in the Lewisburg Historic District.

Early details on the exterior include gable-end chimneys and a semi-elliptical fanlight with sidelights. Decorating the frieze on the facade and on the rear projecting ell is a series of tri-glyphs, distinctive to the…

View full article here