The history of Marlinton has always been tied to that of the C & O Railroad. The citizens of Pocahontas County voted in 1891 to move their county seat from Huntersville to the proposed new town, because of plans for a railroad, and, thus, timbering, jobs and prosperity ensued.
The depot is a well-loved building and was much mourned when fire nearly destroyed it. Its rebuilding and new life – wonky signal and all – give hope for other new beginnings.
Instead of a railroad, we now have a river trail, and the lumbermen and railroad workers have given way to hikers, cyclists, fishermen and canoeists.
The area around the depot is becoming an art center and the depot itself houses the 4th Avenue Gallery.
Saturday morning, the Marlinton Depot’s collection of railroad memorabilia was greatly enhanced by an unexpected gift from an unexpected source.
What are the chances that a complete C & O…